Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Continuing Saga of My Dining Set

OK, in case you didn't already read ALL about this on Facebook (I am having trouble getting people to actually read my blog, haha) I am in the process of redoing my dining table and chairs.  I originally had wanted to collect four random antique chairs and a table, paint them all the same, and make them a set.  However, this is proving to take much longer than I expected.  I collected three chairs from my grandparents garage, but only one is actually strong enough to really use (with 2 kids) and that one has no seat.  Also, I have yet to find the table I really want.  So until I get all of the pieces to complete that plan, I have to live with the table and chairs that we have now.  Right now we have a fairly plain square pub-style table (taller than usual, you could pull a bar stool up to it) with four chairs, stained a reddish brown color.  Other than a few minor chips in the finish from wear and tear, it is an extremely sturdy wood set.  It really does pain me to admit this, but Ben and I got it at Wal-Mart because we lived in a small place without a real dining room, which is the way our apartment is now ("dining room" is an office AND dining area.)  We needed something quick and the right size, and cheap...and this was also before we realized we had any sense of style.  So, I decided that a paint job will make a huge difference in how much I am able to live with this furniture without cringing every time I look at it.  I decided on an antique black paint, then distressing the edges to bring out the lines, and some antique gold stencil details.  Here are the pictures of the transformation...so far I have done 2 chairs.  I think to mix it up I will do the table next.

OK, first of all, here are some pictures to show you my paint inspiration.  These are pictures of antique chairs with the paint scheme I was going for, though they are more elaborate.


Here is a picture of one of my chairs before:
Here I have just painted it "carbon copy" which is a sort of purplish black, almost like ink.  (Benjamin Moore "Ben" paint in semi-gloss.)

This is a photo after the distressing with sand paper, and a side by side before and after with the old chair.

Finally, I did some gold stencils with my trusty Martha Stewart antique gold craft paint.  I purposely made them look as though they are fading off from wear.
And, one more side by side comparison.
I think they look a lot better now.  A little more stylish and with WAY more character.  I will do another post when I finish the table. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment