Monday, November 7, 2011

Tiling a Table Top

A few months ago, I decided to take on this, my very first furniture make-over project.  We had an old side table from probably the 80's which we had used for various things over the past few years.  The top had become very worn due to the non-use of coasters under our wet drinks and other forms of use.  It was sitting under a table cloth not being seen by anyone when I decided I would put tiles on the top of it.  No, I had NEVER done anything like this before and I had NO idea how it would turn out.  I looked online for a tutorial and went to Home Depot to get supplies. 

The table before:
First I spray painted the whole thing chocolate brown.  I would not (and have not) ever use spray paint again.  It dripped and bubbled and I felt like it dried looking weird.  Maybe I did it wrong (probably) but I find that I have way more control using a paintbrush, and I also like to do things "the good old way."  Here it is painted:
Next I put on an adhesive/grout product which was both in one (I forget the name of it, but Home Depot had a whole wall of it.)  I smeared it all over the table top and then positioned my tiles and bits of broken glass (I purposely smashed a candle holder) where I wanted them to be. 
Next I put the grout/adhesive all over the tiles, working it into the cracks.  Mistake #2: I did not wipe the tiles off before letting it dry...because I bought grout remover and didn't think I was supposed to.  Result: grout never completely came out of the cracks in the larger corner tiles, though you have to look closely to tell.  The rest of it cleaned off nicely.  Here it is drying:
And here it is after being cleaned:
Next time (if I ever decide to do something like this again) I would use a darker colored grout because it was not easy to keep it neat on top of the darkly painted table.  But I think it came out OK.  I guarantee no one else has a side table like this. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment