Friday, November 18, 2011

Victorian Gesso Plaster Frame Makeover

I found this amazing gesso plaster frame (wood frame with molded plaster designs put onto it) at a Salvation Army thrift store for $25.  It was black and had glass in it, I guess someone had used it as a picture frame.  It looked really cool black, as you can see below, but it had kind of a goth vibe to it, as  Victorian things tend to have sometimes.  This is the second frame from that time period that I have come to own, I also have one from my grandmother's childhood home which is mid 1800's.  This one could be anywhere mid-late 1800's.  It was actually in GREAT shape when I bought it.  So anyway, I decided to do a sort of shabby French country thing to it and paint it "Ocean Air" (very light aqua) with some very light gilding and distressing.  Here it goes:

The frame before, gilded black seemed a little gloomy to me:


I painted the frame Ocean Air and then a light gold on the details to antique it.  Then some light distressing, and I hung it on my wall!  I decided to leave it empty, the frame is its own artwork.  One day maybe a mirror, but I think it looks cool like this, too.  Hopefully against the white wall you can tell the color is blue, because it looks so white outside in the sun. ;)

******************************************************************
Here's what I did for some Christmas season whimsy. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I still want to find a mirror for it. Maybe some time after the holidays. I love old frames, they are soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete