Sunday, October 23, 2011

Recovering an old vanity bench seat with a burlap coffee sack!

OK, does everyone remember this little vanity bench that I got from my grandparents' garage the other day?  It has a cool, chipped red (and under that, white) paint job and the seat cover was basically rotting off.  Here it was as I found it:

Well, I decided that the paint looked cool the way it was, so I just wiped it down really good to clean it.  I may go back later and rub some mineral oil on the wood to give it some moisture, but I haven't done it yet.  I started the seat covering by ripping off the THREE layers of old covers, which fell right off because they had rotted from sitting in a garage for decades.  I then pulled out the nails with pliers to reuse.  I saw the the cotton felt padding had a little moisture damage, but I was able to peel off the damaged layer and reuse most of the cotton. 
Then I covered the cotton and wood seat with my awesome coffee sack.  I chose the part with the coffee cherries because it looked cool and matched the red legs on the bench.


VOILA!  I screwed the top back on using the same screws and it was finished.  Because I didn't have to paint, this took me 30 minutes.  It was SO EASY.  And it came out looking so cute!  (Note: A few weeks later I realized the chippy painted legs probably needed some protection so I added a light coat of polyurethane.)

1 comment:

  1. Great use of the sack Elizabeth! I love to reclaim old items and it's extra special that it was in your own family! I love the blog and all your posts!

    ReplyDelete