Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chairs, painting, and a vintage school desk...oh my!

Happy New Year, everyone!!!!!!

We have added some new additions to our house full of vintage/thrift/consignment furniture.  My goal is to have a house completely full of reused and repurposed furnishings.  We really are almost there.  I am hanging on to our non-thrifty bed, simply because it is a very high quality, almost new bed and mattress set, with a wood and iron headboard.  It doesn't clash with all of the other stuff, so for now it's staying.  I will also be looking in the next few years for vintage beds for our kids, as of right now they have mismatched modern wooden toddler beds, one which was free and the other which came from the CHKD thrift store.  But I digress, this post is about the things which have just joined our thrifty family.  I have a plan right now to hunt down four dining chairs and a small, rustic, sturdy wooden table (preferably all of it old, but I may have to cheat a little.)  I am going to paint the table distressed white and the chairs will be shades of green and yellow.  This has been my dream dining set for the past year.  It has taken some time to collect, and now I have the chairs but just need the table.  I have a set of antique reproduction Victorian press-back chairs that I have been hanging on to, but I want a mis-matchy feel to the chairs.  So I am going to use two of those, one old antique chair of my grandmother's, and another old ladder-back arm chair which we bought at a vintage consignment shop yesterday.  I have already painted one press-back "Winchester sage" which actually came out more teal than sage, but it still looks really cool after being distressed.  The other press-back will probably be the same color, and then possibly a lighter minty green for my grandma's chair and a vintage yellow for the ladder back.  We also found a vintage school desk at Goodwill for $8, which I have put in our kids room.  Here are some pictures.....

The Victorian press-back which I have already painted:






The ladder-back that still needs painting:


And, finally here's the kids school desk.  I am going to paint the wood back and seat, but we're still deciding on a color.


1 comment: