Monday, October 17, 2011

Thrift Store Score!!

I had the best luck today out in the thrifty world...found more items than I expected to, and for CHEAP!  My sweet 3 year old Abigail and I hit the Goodwill thrift store and two Salvation Army thrift stores in a matter of 2 hours!  This is what we came home with:

Carved wooden pedestal lamp (it's larger than it looks here, actually over 2 feet tall) for $5!  Got the shade at Target for $10.
Hand made stained glass panel.  My mom used to make these, so I know a real one when I see it.  Somebody made this, I don't know how it ended up at Goodwill!  Another $5.

Old wooden firewood bin, now being used for magazines, $3.

Hand blown glass vase.  It's hard to tell from this picture but it has really cool pink and yellow swirls, and you can see on the bottom where it was broken off from the blow-thingy (sorry, I am no expert in glass-blowing, I saw it once on a field trip to Williamsburg as a kid, but I don't remember the names of the tools.)  Another piece of what I would call art- 99 cents!

Three more plates for my collection- $2 each.

Old sturdy wooden chair to be used with the antique desk that my husband and I just refinished.  It is going to be a paint project, which I will of course chronicle in my trusty blog. ;) $7.

I saved the best for last!!!  I almost had a heart attack when I saw this vanity sitting on the floor at Salvation Army.  It stood out like a beautiful, antique sore thumb amongst all of the other 80's and 90's furniture.  I literally HAD to have it.  When they delivered it this afternoon, I seriously shed a tear because I could not believe it was mine.  I rubbed it down with a mineral oil/coffee ground mixture to restore color and shine to the finish, and that is really all it needed!  It is in excellent condition.  It is done in a Victorian style, but I have a feeling that it's 1920's or 30's Victorian revival.  It doesn't quite look old enough to be Victorian.  Either way it is now my dining room "sideboard."  $170, and WELL worth every penny!

It was a good day!  Now time to take a rest from buying and get to the paint projects I have lined up.  See you soon! ;)

1 comment: